23.11.06

Lesson Learned

yesterday, my son was so noisy at school that his teacher had to put some remarks on his notebook to let me know of his behavior during the day. when my son got home, he erased the remark and put a positive one instead. but being a novice at dishonesty, he did a poor job at it. my first instinct was to protect him for what was sure to come: his teacher issuing further reprimands, or worse, a conduct slip. i actually tried to cover up the torn portion of the page, and then concocting an excuse to justify the action. but i paused. i sort of saw a crossroad, a moral dilemma. i could help him get out of this one now, sure, but it really wouldn't be helping him in the long run. i'd only be teaching him to cover a blunder with another blunder.
so, it was really with a heavy heart that i told him this is one issue he'd have to face himself. he'd have to tell the teacher what he has done, why he had done it, and how he plans to make up for it. his face registered apprehension. for the rest of the night, we were both quiet. i was heartbroken because this was the first time he'd done something like that and because i couldn't protect him from the consequences of his action, and because i was feeling guilty he was so scared of what i'd tell him when i see that remark that he felt compelled to do something rash. for his part, he was quiet because he was scared to face his teacher.
morning came. i woke him up and when he suddenly remembered what he has to do today, i saw his face change. he was pensive again, and tensed. when he finally spoke, he asked me to come with him to school, to help him talk to his teacher. he's scared, he said. he was clinging to me the whole time. i wasn't sure the guard would let me in so but i said i'd do my best.
when we got there, i almost begged the guard to allow me a few minutes with the teacher. and it was such a relief he accommodated the request. i talked to the teacher first, sans my son, because i wanted to know how she would address the issue. she said a lot of the kids do that [but i maintained in my mind it's not something i'd want my son to get accustomed to]. but she assured me a conduct slip isn't forthcoming. i then let aj make his apologies. i could see he was truly sorry for what he has done.
as i was walking out the building, my son ran after me. he hugged me and cried. probably he was relieved it was all over, probably to thank me, i don't really know for sure why, but i hugged him tight in return.
i know he has learned more than one lesson today and i can only keep on praying that he sticks to that one path he knows is the right one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home