17.5.06

A Peaceful Night it Wasn't

yesterday i was just making a wish list; today i am going to rant about something that happened last night.
i got home, prepared to cook dinner, prepared my cross stitch, and played a little with my son. my two nieces happened to be there as well. the elder of the two approached me and asked if she could spend the night and i said yes, but wondered why. apparently she and her mom were having a little disagreement. i could get the gist of what she was telling me so i tried to calm her down by explaining things to her in a language a 7-year old could understand. the phone rang, it was her mom. i seized the chance to ask what was going on. i didn’t get a reply.
soon as i put the phone down, my mobile phone received several hurtful text messages from my niece's mom accusing me of something i didn't know i did. and it shook me because i only asked what was going on. i felt i had to know because they involved me by throwing the problem at my lap, didn't they?
but anyway, the point of all this is that it amazes me how people deal with life's bumpy roads. some cope by stepping on other's toes, some get all venomous, some sink to depression, some just cry it out, some go out on a food binge, some drown their sorrows with a bottle of vodka, and then there are some who prefer to be left alone.
life's problems get bigger and more complicated as we get older, who could disagree with that? but i've always believed that we wouldn't be given anything we couldn't handle. Someone wiser than all of us made sure of that. and the tenacity we display in the face of difficulty reflects the way we were brought up.
as a mom, i know that i shouldn't give in to each of my son's demands. well, true, this is easy for me; after all i do not have the financial capability to do so anyway. but i understand the logic behind those simple words of wisdom. the doses of frustrations my son experiences as he gets older toughens him up and builds his coping mechanism. when the time comes that he is on his own, he would be able to bear and deal with life's beatings.

and that, aside from education, is another gift we could give our kids.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, nice tackle, i never realized how mature you are these days, you spoke like a real mom, parang Helen Vela, well anyway I tried to reach you on your cell but no dice. Just want to say Hi!!! and more power to you Helen Bola, hehehe, you know who I am. (quite boastful, but quite intelligent, ring a bell?

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home