10.10.05

Cathy and the Armchair Reader

Cathy Guisewhite is the author of the daily 'Cathy' strip, which started in 1976. Her caricatures are simple and I like her haphazard way of self-satirization [is there even such a word?], particularly when she is faced with major dilemmas in the form of a bag of chips or uncooked cookie dough, haha!
anyway, I used to be able to read her comic books at Armchair Reader, a library located at shopping malls where people could just come in when they’ve gotten tired of window shopping, sit themselves in the one of the plush seats with overstuffed back cushions, read books, and drink coffee or tea for FREE! some books could even be taken home for a minimal fee. back then, I could borrow cathy comic books for only P10 per day. it’s such a pity that it stopped its operations. I guess it was ahead of its time. if only it would reopen, I’m sure my son would enjoy the place. these days, when we enter a bookstore, my son finds himself a corner, gets a copy of Dr. Seuss or a book of maze, and tells me to come back for him after a few minutes. maybe there ought to be an Armchair Reader for kids?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I remember the Armchair reader! What a beautiful concept it was, except that Manila was probably not yet ready for it. It was such a haven. AJ would have loved it. Hello, darling boy!

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home