14.12.05

My Stocking's Full

Sometimes it gets to me: hearing friends talk about gifts and bonuses they’ve received. It gets to me because of all the things I’ve set out to accomplish this year, the only one I didn’t quite achieve is self-sufficiency. Now, like an old woman on a rocking chair, I am pausing from my crocheting and taking stock…and wondering if the year past turned out the way I wanted it to.

In the order of importance, I have:

  • finally provided a home where my child feels secure
  • through his 9-month play therapy that I had to grit my teeth to afford for him, removed his angst that caused violent manifestations in school
  • closer ties with family members, especially sisters
  • unlimited view of my nephew and my two nieces’ antics
  • lesser friends [in quantity] but in no way lesser in quality; the ones I have now I intend to keep for the rest of my life
  • found my real stand on life, after witnessing someone try to take his
  • found my peace and my independence. I know now, without doubt, this is where I’m happiest---raising my child alone
  • a wider portfolio of books I’ve designed; the added perk is being able to read the book before it even comes off the press
  • these in my coffers: coffee press (that my sister gave me last Christmas); two books two angels sent me from across the seas, and more to arrive pretty soon; a car that I’ve painstakingly restored to perfect condition, after more than a year of abuse from the old driver (new scratches and dents notwithstanding :); a microwave oven (for popcorn, what else?); a mug from Paris (that I can’t wait to see); a bottle of L’Instant de Guelain and a liter of my fave Heno de Pravia cologne; a still-working Pentium 3 at home; an unopened bottle of red wine; more Naturalizer shoes than I could possibly use, thanks to one other sister
  • become a better driver
  • a car mechanic who is a real gem
  • discovered this magic potion you add to gasoline to improve mileage
  • free refresher course from my nursery lessons to---let me see now---grade 1 (thanks to my son’s school books! schools teach geometry to 6 year olds now, I didn’t learn of that till I was in high school)
  • completed this yet another rite of passage of motherhood: successfully orchestrating a son’s birthday bash at school
  • finally simplifed my life [Bo Sanchez would be proud of me]
  • this blog

In the order of importance, I have lost:

  • a friend I loved very much, no thanks to a broken car radiator
  • the use of a TV remote control :) ; and a replacement is not forthcoming yet

It has been one blessed year for me after all.

I still wish for the time when I’m debt-free, of course. I still wish for the time when it’d be my turn to help others instead of being on the receiving end. I still wish I could see France and Italy and that Bramasole I am sure is waiting for me. I still wish for a sparkling 16-valve blood-red convertible with free gasoline for life! Dream big, I always say!

But for now, my stocking’s full, and I couldn’t ask for more.

4 Comments:

Blogger =D said...

and with a 'thank-full' heart, she will close the year. somehow, i think it will not be too much to put one more.

"i unwittingly encouraged a friend to discover how cathartic writing can be. i am a super woman!"...=D

4:41 AM  
Blogger Bramasole said...

thanks =d! i still remember that time when i didn't know the first thing about the internet, yet you invited me anyway to develop and manage--of all things--web content! it was my first peek to the world of invisible webs. and the ride has been fun, truly enriching, and truly worth that first-day-in-the-office attack of nerves.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! i really love people who can still look at the brighter side of life even when sometimes there are dark moments. = )

i call that, inspirational!!!

3:19 AM  
Blogger =D said...

two lovely ladies who have gone beyond their comfort zones - like what they saw. glad was the one who nudged it a bit... =D Happy Holidays!

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home